[an error occurred while processing this directive]
|
Andrew J. Henderson is a retired farmer who for many years was actively angaged in general agricultural pursuits and by reason of his energy and careful management gained the competence that now enables him to rest from further labor and yet enjoy the comforts of life. He was born in White Eyes township, March 28, 1843, and is a son of John and Nancy (Stonehocker) Henderson. The father's birth occurred in this state in 1811 although he was of Irish descent. The mother was born in White Eyes township in 1812, representing one of the old pioneer families who aided largely in converting the district from a frontier region into a place possessing all of the advantages incident to modern civilization. The death of Mr. Henderson occurred January 21, 1870, while his wife passed away many years before, dying September 20, 1847. They were the parents of four children: Jacob and Mary, both of whom are deceased; Andrew J., of this review; and Elizabeth, who has departed this life. Andrew J. Henderson remained upon the home farm through the period of his boyhood and youth, working on the place in the summer months, while in the winter seasons he attended the public schools. His early thorough training in farm work well qualified him to take charge of a farm of his own when he started out upon an independent business career. He left the old homestead and rented land for six years and during that time his careful expenditures and unfaltering industry brought him a sum of money sufficient to justify his purchasing a tract of land in White Eyes township. Here he lived until 1900 and became recognized as one of the leading and progressive agriculturalists of the community. At one time he owned two hundred and sixty-six acres of rich and valuable land but later sold the entire amount with the exception of fifty acres, not wishing to be burdened with the great responsibility of this property. While engaged in the raising of cereals best adapted to the soil and climate he also made a speciality of raising horses and cattle, and worked on persistently and energetically for many years until his capable busienss management had brought him a gratifying measure of success. He then retired from the most active and onerous duties of the farm and is now enjoying a well earned rest. Mr. Henderson was married January 21, 1872, to Miss Mary L. McGuire, who was born in Lafayette township, July 1, 1836, a daughter of William and Mary (Stonehocker) McGuire. Her father was born in Coshocton, March 15, 1807, which fact indicates that the McGuires were among the earliest families of this part of the state. Her paternal grandfather had arrived here in 1806 and built a log cabin, which he covered with a clapboard roof. On one side of the room was a large fireplace and the smoke made its egress through a mud and stick chimney. The floor and door were made of puncheons and the latter was hung upon wooden hinges and had a wooden latch. Indians still visited the neighborhood but were usually peaceable and in due course of time passed on to hunting grounds further west. Wild animals roaded in the forests and every evidence of pioneeer life was here found, but time and man wrought many changes and the McGuides bore their full share in improving and building up the county. The death of William McGuire occurred January 17, 1890, when he had reached the venerable age of eighty-two years. At the time of his death he was the owner of seven hundred acres of good land. He had long survived his wife, who passed away January 5, 1843. They were the parents of two children, the elder being now deceased. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Henderson were born two sons: William J., who was born March 22, 1873, and died in February, 1882; and Francis J., who was born August 28, 1875, and married Nellie Norris, of Coshocton. Mr. Henderson has never been neglectful of the duties of citizenship but on the contrary has always given loyal support to the imporvements and measures which he deemed would prove of general benefit. He votes with the republican party and for twenty-one years he did faithful service as a school director, the cause of education finding in him a stalwart friend. He belongs to the Odd Fellows lodge at Coshocton and the Grange at Oak Grove and both organizations count him as a valued member. He is widely known in this county, where his entire life has been passed, and some of his warmest friends are those with whom he has been acquainted from boyhood. A life of unremitting and well directed activity has brought him prosperity and he is now numbered among the respected, as well as the most substantial citizens of the community.
Return to Index Volume 1
|